Set up CarPlay with your iPhone
With select cars and stereos, you can use CarPlay to get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and more.
You need an iPhone 5 or later to use CarPlay. Also, make sure that you're in an area that supports CarPlayand that Siri is on. To turn on Siri, go to Settings > Siri & Search.
Set up CarPlay
- Make sure that your car or stereo supports Carplay.
- Plug your iPhone into the CarPlay USB port. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon. If the CarPlay Home screen doesn’t appear, select the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
- If your car supports CarPlay over a wired solution, plug your iPhone into the USB port of your car. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon.
- If your car supports wireless CarPlay, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel to set up CarPlay. Or make sure that your car is in wireless or Bluetooth pairing mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay > Available Cars and select your car. See your car's manual for more information.
- Make sure that your car is running.
- Ask Siri for what you need. You can do this in a few ways:
- If your car has one, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel. Then ask what you need.
- If you have a touch screen, touch and hold the Home button in CarPlay until Siri appears on your stereo display. Then ask what you need.
If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.
- Make sure that Siri is turned on.
- Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
- If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
- Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
- Update to the latest version of iOS.
- Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.